Lead. Inspire. Empower.
The Step Out Walk is a great way to promote health and wellness at your company.
It is also a great way to allow your coworkers to give back to their community and show leadership skills. Being on a company team helps employees develop and perfect leadership skills, including goal-setting, decision-making, problem-solving, time management, negotiation and networking.
Serving as a Step Out Walk Team Captain can be so rewarding. By forming a team YOU can be a leader for a great cause. All it takes is the willingness to reach out to others and a little extra time, and you'll become one of the American Diabetes Association's most important volunteers.
Teams come in all sizes and members can be of all different skill levels — it only takes two people to get started and five or more people to make a full team! You can also assign a co-team captain to help you lead your team to success.
It starts right now with you.
- Search for an event near you (All Step Out Walks) and then register by clicking the "Start a Team" button.
- Choose a team name—make sure to inform your team members of the name.
- Ask everyone you know to join your team! Team members can participate at different levels and then all meet back at the party.
- Set goals and work together to make your Step Out experience fun and memorable.
- If you've already registered as an individual and wish to become a team captain, please email your local event coordinator and include your name, event and team name. We will move your registration to the team.
Join an existing team.
- Find your local Step Out Walk event and then register by clicking on "Join an Existing Team" and searching for your team name
- Set goals and work together to make your Step Out experience fun and memorable!
Take advantage of your personal and team websites.
- A webpage is created for each team when you register—it's easy to get started! Team Captains can update their team's webpage and use the provided tools to track their team roster and fundraising progress. Login to your Fundraising Center and follow the prompts.
- Enter a message about your team (be sure to personalize it and let people know why your team is participating and that others are welcome to join your team), upload a photo, and you're ready to go!
- Team captains can send group email messages to team members and monitor the team's progress directly from your Fundraising Center.
We're here to help if you need it. Call your local ADA staff person at 1-888-DIABETES or our online support line at 1-800-DIABETES. Your local coordinator contact information is in your Fundraising Center.