Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes
- What is Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes? Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes is the American Diabetes Association's signature fundraising walk. With strong support from the business community including sponsorship and corporate teams, this event raises over $24 million to find a cure for diabetes and to support our mission.
- How can I participate in Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes? You can form a walk team, participate as an individual walker or as a member of a walk team. Take your first step and register today.
- What is involved in participating in Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes? Participants register and recruit friends, family and co-workers as fundraising walkers. The day of the event is a party to celebrate the fundraising accomplishments of our teams and individual participants as well as an opportunity to promote awareness about diabetes and the American Diabetes Association.
- Do I have to raise money? While there is no fundraising minimum, it is strongly encouraged that you raise money to support the American Diabetes Association and its mission. By raising between $100 and $150, you'll receive a Step Out t-shirt on the day of the event ($ amount varies by event). Additional incentives are given to walkers for varying levels of fundraising.
- What is the distance of an average walk route? Most Step Out events cover three miles, though they range from about 2.5 to 6 miles. Some have special shorter walks for families and children and those who want to walk but can't make the full distance.
- How are the funds raised by Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes used? 73 percent of our total annual expenses go towards research, information and advocacy and public awareness activities.
- Is my information secure? Convio has made every effort to protect your information. They use industry-standard SSL encryption techniques to make sure your credit card information, passwords and personal information travel securely over the Internet. They have also installed an encryption engine on our database server so your data is securely stored.
- How is my credit card information handled? Credit card information is not stored in our database. During the donation process, we send your credit card information to an online processing terminal using a secure connection. The information passed back is an approval or denial for the credit card donation.
General Online Info
- I forgot my Username and Password. Remember that your username and password are case sensitive. Click here to find your password. You will receive an email with your username and password. If you still have problems, please contact us for help.
- How do I change my Username and/or Password? First, login to your Step Out Center using your username and password. Once logged in you will see a link at the top of the page called "Update My Profile." Once in your profile, you will be able to change your contact information, email address, username and password. All changes will be made to your account immediately. There is no need to sign in again.
- How do I unsubscribe from email? Towards the bottom of each email message, there is a link stating, "Click Here to Unsubscribe." Click this link and follow the instructions given to unsubscribe.
- What is a Personal Page? A Personal Page is an online fundraising tool for you to use when asking friends, family and co-workers to join your team or make a donation. Once you sign up for an event online, by default, you will have a Personal Page created for you. You have the option of personalizing this page by going to your Step Out Center. You will be able to customize images and video, text and the style/color of your Web page layout.
- By default I have a personal page, do I have to change it? A compelling Personal Page attracts and engages supporters. While you can spread the word using customized email solicitations, your Personal Page can be your own creative expression of your commitment to the cause. Customize your page by selecting the layout and style that work best for you. Utilize the elements of text, photo or video and status indicators to their fullest advantage.
- How do I change my personal fundraising goal? First, you will need to login to your Step Out Center. At the top of your Step Out Center (underneath the thermometer), enter your new goal and submit the changes to save!
- How do I change my team name, team division or team goal? Only the Team Captain has the ability to change the team name or team division. The Team Captain will need to login to their Step Out Center and click the "Progress" button on the top of the page. On the Team Progress Page, Team Captains will have the ability to update the team name, division and goal.
- How can I see who has donated to me? Login to your Step Out Center using your username and password. Click on "Progress"; this will allow you to view your donor list and their donation amounts.
- How can I see who is on my team? Login to your Step Out Center using your Username and Password. Click on "Team Progress"; this will allow you to view your team roster and the amounts raised by each team member.
- I'm a team captain, how do I update the message to my team? In your Step Out Center, click the "Update Message to Team" button. This will allow you to make all necessary changes to your team message.
- What is the difference between making my Personal Page private or public? By default, a Personal Page is Public, meaning your name will appear in the participant search list available to online donors. Anyone accessing the site will be able to support you. Setting your Personal Page to Private means your name will not appear in the participant search list. Only people you invite by giving them your Personal Page URL will be able to support you.
- How can I enter OFFLINE gifts into my ONLINE Gifts Summary? First, login to your Step Out Center using your username and password. Click on "My Step Out Center" and choose your event. Click on the "Progress" icon at the top of the page. Within the Gifts Summary box, click on "Enter Gifts Received Offline." Enter the information and be sure to click "Save."
- Where can I find a receipt I can print and give my donors who give me a small cash donation? If you need to give a receipt for a small cash donation, please print, cut and fill out one of the receipts in this downloadable document (Adobe PDF file).